Academic Credit

Earn credit for Japanese language immersion.

Earn academic credit for your learning at KCP. Academic credit from your home school may be available directly from KCP by means of a KCP grade report. You may also apply through one of our sponsor universities. Since retroactive credit is not available, be sure to check with your home school before you enroll in the program.

You can earn one year or more of language credit each term (either semester or quarter). If through a sponsor, KCP courses appear on your sponsor university transcript.

Use our Need Academic Credit? infographic to determine which school you should apply through.


Course Semester Summer Short Term
Japanese Language
Credits 12 10
Classroom hours 200 165
Japanese Culture and Society
Credits 3 N/A*
Classroom hours 25 Approx. 10
Excursion hours 35 Approx. 20

*Although the summer short-term does not include a for-credit culture and society course, students participate in some cultural lectures or excursions running during their time at KCP, up to a total of about 30 lecture and excursion hours.


KCP Grade Report

KCP International uses the following information to report your grades to the sponsor and affiliate universities. It is up to your home university to decide how these credits will be labeled, evaluated, or count towards your major or minor. To order a KCP grade report, submit a Document Request.

In the first week of class, you choose from three grading options: Grade (four-point scale), Pass/Fail, or Audit. Students who choose the Audit option participate fully in the course but do not earn academic credit.

Course Names and Numbers

This serves as an example of what a KCP grade report will show. Please note that each KCP partner school may report classes differently on their transcript to adhere with their school’s policies. When you transfer credits back to your home school, your school may also articulate these courses differently.

Level Title Course Credit*
1 Intensive Japanese I Japanese 110 12
2 Intensive Japanese II Japanese 210 12
3 Intensive Japanese III Japanese 310 12
4 Intensive Japanese IV Japanese 410 12
5 Intensive Japanese V Japanese 420 12
6 Intensive Japanese VI Japanese 430 12
Japanese Culture and Society Japanese 315 3

Course names and numbers subject to change without notice.

*For summer short-term, 10 semester credits are granted for the Japanese Language course. While the Japanese Culture and Society course is not offered for credit during summer short-term, students can participate in any lectures or excursions that are available during their time at KCP.

School of Record

In some cases, your school may accept a KCP Grade Report as sufficient information to grant credit for you without your enrolling through a sponsor university. To order a KCP grade report, submit a Document Request.

Be sure to check with your home school, to verify that a KCP grade report will be acceptable as transfer credit. You may also apply through one of our sponsor universities: Western Washington University, the University of Idaho, or Lincoln University.

For a list of colleges and universities that students have come from, or have graduated from, click here.

Please note: Transfer of academic credit from a KCP grade report, or from a school of record (sponsor school) transcript, has been successful in most cases. However, every school has its own policy and makes the final decision on credit transfer. Students are encouraged to consult their home school’s study abroad or academic advisor about transferability of credit earned from their study at KCP. 

Learn Japanese Online with KCP!

KCP has partnered with Japan Fuji Online to offer online courses! Learn more about our exciting new offering. Classes begin this Fall!

Learn More >

Student Life

Past and present students share their thoughts and experiences on studying in Japan.

View Page


I would tell everyone thinking of attending KCP to jump in with both feet and go to Japan with an open mind. You never know what you’ll experience next!

—Brittany Crouch